Pajhwok Services

Photo Service

SMS News Service

Pajhwok combines its expertise and experience in news reporting with a telecom firm and thus reach a wider audience in an 
effective way.

To subscribe: 
English News Update : Send 83 to 824
Dari News Update : Send 84 to 824
Pashto News Update : Send 85 to 824

Election Coverage

Special Mining Page

Afghan Peace Process Special Page

Addvertise With Pajhwok

Daily Newsletter

Language
Sending Time (GMT / Kabul time)

Suggest a Story

Pajhwok is interested in your story suggestions. Please tell us your thoughts by clicking here.

June attacks leave over 1,600 killed & wounded in Afghanistan

June attacks leave over 1,600 killed & wounded in Afghanistan

By
On
Jul 04, 2017 - 15:27

KABUL (Pajhwok): In total 839 people were killed and another 783 wounded in Afghanistan last month, when 172 attacks took place, showing a 16 percent decrease in assaults and a 46 percent decline in casualties compared to May, Pajhwok has learnt.

In May, around 1,449 people were killed and 1,550 others wounded in 205 attacks across Afghanistan, with one-fifth of the assaults happening in Kabul. The statistics indicate a 58 percent increase in attacks and a 39 percent spike in casualties in May over April.

Pajhwok reports from different sources show violent attacks took place in 28 provinces in May while in June there were attacks in 29 of the country’s total 34 provinces.

In June, 58 face-to-face attacks, 53 targeted attacks, 34 blasts, 21airstrikes and six suicide attacks happened.

During these attacks, seven in every 16 people suffered casualties in driect engagements, three in suicide attacks and two each in targeted attacks and airstrikes.

Of the total attacks, the most, 28, occurred in Faryab, 20 in Nangarhar, 15 in Helmand, 12 in Farah, eight each in Paktika, Uruzgan, Kandahar, six each in Ghazni, Herat, Jawzjan, five each in Kabul, Logar, Parwan, four each in Khost, Paktia, Zabul, three each in Kapisa, Nimruz, Sar-i-Pul, Takhar, two each in Balkh, Kunar, Kunduz, Maidan Wardak, Samagan and one each in Badakhshan, Baghlan and Laghman provinces.

Pajhwok received no report of violence from Daikundi, Bamyan, Nuristan, Badghis, Ghor and Panjsher provinces in June.

Last month, Nangarhar witnessed most of the attacks.

Zalmai Wardak, a retired general, commenting on the uptick in attacks in Faryab and Nangarhar provinces, said: “These call tactics. Militants according to their plan step up attacks in one province or another province periodically.”

He said in Faryab besides facing insurgency was home to a number of illegal armed groups which contributed to insecurity.

He said the illegal armed groups’ activities had a negative impact on the security situation and casualties.

In Nangarhar, Daesh emergence added to the insecurity already created by the resurgent Taliban, thus raging violence.

Last month, Daesh rebels captured Tora Bora, a strategic location, from  Taliban rivals in the Pachirawgam district of Nangarhar, but government forces soon claimed driving the Daesh rebels from the area.

Defence Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Dawlat Waziri said Faryab and Nangarhar were the provinces which saw most of the attacks in June.

He said the Taliban wanted to establish bases in Faryab and therefore they increased their attacks.

But the Afghan forces pressed ahead their planned offensive and that was why many attacks took place in Faryab, he added.

Casualties

Reports show 839 people were killed and 873 others injured in 172 attacks in June across Afghanistan.

On average 54 people daily suffered casualties in June compared to 97 in May.

The victims included militants, Afghan forces and civilians. But Pajhwok does not release exact casualty figures because different sources provide different accounts.

June 14 led in witnessing more attacks --- 14 --- but the deadliest day was June 3, when 185 people were killed and wounded.

However, June 27, the third day of Eidul Fitr, which marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan, passed off without any casualties-related report being received.

About June attacks and casualties, Zalmai Wardak said: “Militants failed to stage large-scale coordinated attacks because of Ramazan and Eid as they were not on the same page and most preferred to stay home.”

The defence ministry said no major face-to-face clashes took place in June, when the rebels were only able to carry out suicide attacks.

Last month most of the casualties happened in Helmand, Nangarhar, Kabul, Faryab and Uruzgan provinces while the least happened in Samangan, Nimroz, Laghman and Badakhshan provinces.

In June, on average nine people suffered casualties in every attack, but in May 15 people suffered casualties in every single attack.

Wardak said intelligence warfare was in full swing in Afghanistan and casualties depended on the nature of the attacks.

Pajhwok reports show most casualties happened in October last year, and then monthly casualties declined by every month until December 2016

During December-May period, the number of casualties was on the increase but declined in May.

Stop killing Afghans!

Family members of the war-victims said the decline in attacks was encouraging but durable peace and stability seemed more elusive in the country.

Mohammad Ibrahim, a resident of Kandahar City, the capital of southern Kandahar, who lost a sister to a roadside blast, said her sister was innocent.

He said many innocent people were daily killed and injured in Kandahar in blasts and attacks. However, he said fortunately there was a decline in incidents of violence in June.

Pajhwok reports show 359 people were killed and injured in 26 attacks in May in Kandahar province but in June 72 people were killed and injured in eight attacks.

Ibrahim said he and his family, who were war-victims. realized the importance of peace more than everyone else.

Akhtar Mohammad, a resident of Qarabagh district of southern Ghazni province, also expressed happiness over the decrease in violence in Ghazni in June.

Mohammad had lost his three brothers to the ongoing conflict. His brothers were in police.

He added: “The great news is that no incident of violence happened during Eid in Ghazni. We wish a durable country-wide peace and stability.”

In May, 78 people were killed and injured in different attacks in Ghazni, while 69 people suffered casualties in six attacks in June.

Mohammad said the government should take real steps for peace and stability and avoid hollow pledges.

Related Article


Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, on your smartphone to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.

   

Add new comment

Advertisement

مسابقه ملی عکاس

Advertisement

Twitter Update